It can be difficult to know where to start when you’re responsible for organising the virtual party. This checklist can be downloaded in PDF format and is a good guide to keep you on track and ensure everything is covered.
2+ weeks before the party
- Budget approved
- Date confirmed
- List of attendees confirmed
- Approximate duration of event decided
- Primary entertainment sourced and ordered (tip: our tastings are great for this!)
- Mini-games, ice-breakers and other entertainment decided upon
- Speaker(s) confirmed e.g. who will open the event?
- Theme decided on
- Any music or playlists organised
- Outline agenda prepared
- Party invitations prepared and sent (free template)
- Host(s) decided upon
- Confirm host(s) have suitable technology
- Confirm host(s) are comfortable with technology and Zoom platform
- Decision on Zoom package required (free vs paid)
1 week before the party
- Finalize the agenda and entertainment, including any music playlists
- Finalize opening formalities: how will you welcome people, confirm their tech is OK etc?
- Have a rehearsal. Include the co-host if you have one. Be sure to include any Zoom features you plan to use eg Breakout rooms, Polls, Chat
- Decide on contingency plan if host gets sick, computer or internet fails
4 days before the party
- Message attendees and remind them to download Zoom etc. Here is a guide.
- Check in with any outside entertainment eg. Have the tasting kits arrived? Is your musician still OK? Is the catering company organised to deliver?
- Finalize any Zoom features you plan to use. Eg Breakout Rooms, Polls.
- Decide on your waiting room customisation (only available on paid packages)
- Ensure you have any personal items you require such as your own outfit
1 hour before the party
- Check your internet connection (eg via https://www.speedtest.net )
- Ensure nobody else on your wifi network will have heavy use during your party (eg streaming, uploading or downloading)
- Close all unnecessary applications on your computer
- Turn off any computer notifications
- Clean your desktop & prepare any items you wish to share
- Load Zoom and check all the controls are as expected
- Do a test on sound and screen share items such as music, videos, web browser or Powerpoint. If you’re having background music on arrival, double-check that!
- If you have a co-host (hopefully you do!), ask them to hop on for a quick test. Note that you can use Zoom practice mode for this.
- Get your personal setup ready; your outfit on, your room tidy (or funky decorations up!) and your tasting ready if that’s part of your event
5 minutes before the party
- Do a final check on your settings
- Do a happy dance, start admitting attendees and prepare to entertain!
If you would like to download a copy of this Zoom party checklist in PDF format, please click here.